Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oh the things you can do with index cards and a bulletin board

Well, I haven't done any actual, you know, writing, but I do now have 24 index cards pinned up on a bulletin board in the corner, if that counts for anything. My mother came in while I was doing this, gave me a look like I was totally insane, and didn't even bother to ask what I was doing (though she did ask me what I was chewing on. I said a thumbtack, and she said something about catching horrible diseases. Whatever. I chew on things when I'm thinking). Somehow, I get the feeling that my entire family many have finally gotten used to me staying up late, and perhaps most of them no longer want to know what exactly I am doing. All the better for me. For the record, I was plotting out my book using index cards. A very useful technique, all things considered, though I think I may do it digitally next time as opposed to going through a large stack of actual index cards and pining them to a bulleting board with an irritating habit of falling down and scratching the furniture.

But it really doesn't matter. The point is, thanks to index cards and a bulletin board, I have now managed to plot out quite a bit of my book from where I left off in chapter four (because honestly, after that I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to happen). Granted, there are still huge gaps I need to fill and scenes I need to squeeze in, but for tonight I am satisfied.

No comments: